School Administrator Optimistic About State Funding
The Lyman School Board met Monday evening at 7 pm with all members present except Bob Fanning, who was out of town. Principal Cooper Garnos, who also serves as girls basketball coach, was absent also due to a out-of town ballgame.
Principal Julie Eppard present Mr. Garnos' principal report along with her own from the Kennebec site.
Mrs. Eppard reported attendance at Kennebec Elementary, which is on alert for below standard attendance recorded a 94.4 percent attendance for November. School attendance of 94 percent or above is required. Last year, Kennebec Elementary dipped below that mark to 93.7 percent, which put the school on alert. Mr. Eppard informed the board she credits the improvement to an incentive program initiated and the fact that teachers call the parent or guardian regarding extended absences.
Superintendent Eppard reported that he is working with Third District Planning on the Engergy Grant and the application for improvements, including a new heating/air condition unit at the mini gym, and doors and windows at the middle school has been submitted.
Mr. Eppard stated he was optimistic after hearing Gov. Daugaard's proposed 2013 budget address.
“We're not looking at any cuts in education,” said Eppard.
“With a $101 increase in per pupil funding, plus the one-time funds that will add about $31, it will be slightly more than we received last year,” added the superintendent.
Due to decrease in enrollment numbers Eppard expects the district to be down about $90,000 in funding.
Enrollment numbers continue to fluctuate but remain in 350 to 360 area. “About where I thought we'd be for this school year,” said Mr. Eppard.
- Hunting begins
- Pheasants make a come back
- Wheat Growers Kennebec facility groundbreaking set for October 15
- 1971 West Lyman football team inducted into Hall of Fame
- Presho woman gives state $10,000 for new rail line
- New art in Vivian
- Kennebec to expand, upgrade waterwaste system
- Wheat Growers Announces Kennebec Site for Grain/Agronomy Facility
- Raiders host Cross Country meet
- Committee to study possible restructuring of Lyman School
- Raider colors on parade
- Lutherans observe 100 years in Presho