Kennebec records 5-inches of rain in July
Kennebec received 5.03 inches of rain during the month of July, approximately 2 ½ inches more than normal for the month. The heaviest precipitation during a 24-hour period occurred July 7th when 2.05 inches were recorded.
Kennebec was one of several towns with July precipitation totals in the top 10 wettest on record.
In addition to precipitation being above average during July, it was also much cooler than normal in the Kennebec area as it was for much of central and northeastern South Dakota according to the National Weather Service (NWS).
Average temperatures were from a half degree to almost three degrees below normal for the month. There was some heat and humidity in the middle of the month, especially at Pierre when they topped the 100 degree mark on July 18th and Kennebec reached 97 degrees.
The area also received a cool down at the end of the month when several record low temperatures were broken across the region. Most of the low temperatures on the 27th and 28th were in the lower to middle 40s. Weather observer Charlie Bowar at Kennebec recorded a low of 43 degrees July 27. The record low for Kennebec occured July 30, 1971 when the temperature bottomed out at 35 degrees.
With near normal temperatures for June combined with July’s below normal temperatures along with a cooler than normal start to August, the summer may finish out with below normal temperatures across the region according to the NWS.
Kennebec has already received approximately 1.93 inches of rain during the first six days of August.
- Running for the gold - Egg!
- Emergency fire sirens to be tested in Presho Thursday
- United Methodist holds Easter celebration
- "As seen on TV"
- Local Vet Supply business under new ownership
- Sobriety Checkpoints Planned
- Reliance Post Office house on chopping block
- Leprechauns descend upon Presho
- Lady Raiders bound for state
- Garnos inducted into Hall of Fame
- Playing at the farm and home show
- Garnos to be inducted into SD Amateur Basketball Hall of Fame