Left: Seniors Bailey Lulf (left) and Jessica Welter react to a successful volley during a Lyman victory.
Raiders return to State Class B Volleyball Tournament
The Lyman volleyball team earned its second straight state tournament berth last Tuesday night defeating Philip 3-0 in the Region 7B championship match held at Wall.
The Raiders (24-8) are seeded #6 in the Class B State Tournament that will be held in Huron, Thursday, Nov. 21 through Saturday, Nov. 23.
The Raiders will take on Chester (#3 seed) in the first night game Thursday at 6:00 pm at the Huron Arena. The games can be viewed online at www.sdpb.org and the finals can be seen on Saturday night starting at 6:00pm on the local PBS TV station.
The Raiders won the Region 7B title last year, then struggled at the state tournament, returning home with 8th place.
Coach Jill Whalen said the girls are more focused this year and ready to go out and win.
“A year of tournament experience will be helpful,” said Whalen. “Last year they were just so excited to qualify for state. This year
they’re ready to get a win!”
The Raiders have some playing knowledge of several of the other tournament teams including Kimball/White Lake, Harding County, and Herrid/Selby.
Lyman played Harding County at the Philip tournament early in the season, and won the match. While Lyman lost to Kimball/White Lake in regular season play, Whalen believes the Raiders are playing at a
higher level of ball now.
“Our girls have peaked at the right time of the season,” said Whalen. “We’re not done yet!”
- Scavenging through the county
- WCE Cooperative finishes up repairs after weekend storms
- High winds damage structures,
- North Central Farmers Elevator and South Dakota Wheat Growers Member-Owners Vote No on Unification
- Lyman School Board Election results
- Construction at new elevator site stays on schedule
- What's new at the museum
- Local Lions Club projects recognized
- Lyman reunion moves to Clubhouse
- Remebering those who gave all
- Presho HS reunion set