NewsMay 14 2014
We received word this morning that the prescribed burn has been canceled and will be considered next spring!
Forest Service to conduct prescribed burn north of Vivian
The Fort Pierre National Grassland plans to conduct prescribed burning this spring as weather conditions allow. The burn unit to be treated is in the Dry Hole Chester Pasture; T106N, R79W, Sec. 8, and is approximately 320 acres in size. This site is in Lyman County, on the west side of U.S. Highway 83, about 23 miles south of Fort Pierre and 5 miles north of Vivian, South Dakota.
The burn could take place Thursday or Friday, May 15 or 16, weather permitting.
The goal of burning this unit is to reduce the vegetative litter that has built up in this location. Dan Svingen, District Ranger, notes that “Reducing the amount of vegetative litter in the Dry Hole Chester Pasture will benefit native grass health and will also reduce fuel accumulations at that site.”
In order to ensure that the objectives of the project are met and that the burn stays inside designated control lines, specific conditions have been established for this project. The burn will not be implemented unless weather conditions including wind speed, wind direction, humidity, and smoke dispersal fall within specific ranges. Control lines have been mowed around the boundary of the unit and fire retardant foam will be utilized on the day of the burn to keep the fire from spreading beyond the control line. The burn will be managed by personnel from the Nebraska National Forests and Grasslands, in conjunction with partners from other state and federal agencies and local Volunteer Fire Departments.
Personnel from the Fort Pierre National Grassland will notify adjacent landowners, law enforcement entities and local fire departments on the actual day of the prescribed burn. Smoke may be visible from Interstate 90 and from the communities of Vivian, Draper, Presho, Murdo, Kennebec, Pierre and Fort Pierre. Other residents and communities may experience seeing or smelling smoke from the prescribed burn.
- Wheat Growers releases site layout for new facility at Kennebec
- Lyman meets Jones Co. in Dist. 13B Championship game on Thursday
- Lyman plays Whiter River tonight at Dist. 13B
- Lyman to host Dist. 13B Girls Tournament
- RACD performers present 21st dinner/theater
- Two Lyman grads inducted
- Reliance Zoning Commission recommends change in designation
- Transmission project being reviewed
- City and town board nominating petitons available
- Ice Fishing for fun and prizes
- Vehicle pursuit ends with drug arrest
- LC Sheriff's office involved in vehicle pursuit