NewsAugust 16 2017

Producers eligible assistance to deal with drought conditions

Posted by Lucy

Producers eligible assistance to deal with drought conditions

Emergency funding options are available to Lyman County producers to help deal with severe drought conditions of 2017. Recent information from Farm Service Agency (FSA) include the following:

Emergency Conservation Program (ECP)
    ECP provides emergency funding for farmers and ranchers to implement emergency water conservation measures in periods of severe drought.
    This would include permanent and temporary pipelines and tanks. Producers with pasture or grazing land physically located in Lyman County who have experienced severe drought conditions requiring assistance to provide emergency water should contact the Lyman County FSA Office before starting any practice.
    Adequate watering facilities must have existed prior to drought. Sign-up ends September 11.
ELAP Covers Losses from Additional Cost of Transporting Water to Livestock
   Assistance is available to Lyman County livestock producers through the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) for producers who have incurred additional operating costs for transporting water to livestock due to an eligible drought.
   An eligible drought means that part or all of a county
is designated D3 (extreme drought) or higher as indicated by the U.S. Drought Monitor ( Producers must file a notice of loss on form CCC-851 the earlier of 30 calendar days of when the loss is apparent to the producer, or by November 1, 2017. Additionally, the deadline to submit an application for payment for 2017 ELAP assistance is November 1, 2017.
   To qualify for ELAP, eligible livestock must be: adult or non-adult dairy cattle, beef cattle, buffalo and beefalo, as well as elk, equine, goats, or sheep.

   Additionally, the livestock must have been owned 60 calendar days prior to the beginning of the drought and be physically located in the county designated as a disaster area due to drought. Adequate livestock watering systems or facilities must have existed before the drought occurred and producers are only eligible if they do not normally transport water to the livestock.

   Livestock that were or would have been in a feedlot are not eligible for transporting water. ELAP covers the additional cost of transporting water and does not cover the cost of the water itself.

   Producers will have to provide documentation to FSA that shows the method used to transport the water, the number of gallons of water transported and the number of eligible livestock to which water was transported.

Livestock producers should contact FSA to make an appointment to sign up for ELAP and to learn more about eligibility, application and documentation requirements

Livestock Forage Losses
    Producers with Lyman County land are eligible to apply for 2017 Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) grazing benefits on small grain, native pasture, improved pasture, annual ryegrass, forage sorghum.
LFP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers who suffer grazing losses for covered livestock due to drought on privately owned or cash leased land.
   Livestock eligible for LFP include beef cattle, buffalo, elk, equine, goats and sheep that are grazing or would have been grazing during the normal grazing period. Livestock must have been owned 60 days prior to the D3 designation on July 25, 2017. Livestock kept for show or roping are ineligible.
   Eligible land must be owned, cash rented or leased by the Animal Unit Month Basis. Pasture agreements based on rate of gain, cost by head, per day or month are ineligible to use for LFP.
   Eligible livestock producers must complete a CCC-853 and the required supporting documentation no later than January 30, 2018 for 2017 losses. Additional Information about LFP is available at your local FSA office or online at:

Theme by Xen